Trust Matters

One day when I was browsing around my local Barnes & Noble, I decided to take a look at my favorite section, Marketing. So I went to the shelf and looked at all the books regarding marketing and other entrepreneurial books. There were some that caught my eye due to it’s binding, look, and feel, but I quickly put it back when I realized that I already knew most of the information presented in the book, and besides, it wasn’t what I was looking for.

Moving downward, downward, and further downward, I finally caught my eye on the books that I was looking for, books by Seth Godin. These were the books that I knew I could count on teaching me something. The books that I trusted to teach me something that I want to learn. I trust Seth Godin.

I trust that this author’s book is going to help my life in some way. I trust that this author’s book is going to help me with my marketing. I trust that this author is going to teach me something completely new and amazing. I trust Seth Goin, and because of that, Seth Godin wins a profit. No doubt, I purchased his book.

The simplicity of trust is powerful. To have your readers actually trust that you know what you’re doing is something that commercials, ads, or digg can’t help you with. To truly trust is powerful to the business.

We live in a low-trust world. So many things have happened in the last few years that it’s become almost impossible to trust someone. We tell our children to not talk to the mailman because he might be a bad person. We look at our caller id before we answer the phone because we’re afraid that it might be a telemarketer. We look through the peep hole of our door to check who it is before we answer it. We’re afraid. We don’t trust people. At times, we don’t even trust our friends or families. Not even our spouses. It’s a world where people live under the same roof, but still aren’t able to fully trust each other. It’s sad, but it’s the truth.

But we do trust businesses. We trust Starbucks to be open every day at 6:00PM. We trust that the 99¢ store down the street will be selling tape for a much cheaper price than Home Depot. We trust that Best Buy has the best in electronics. We trust Wal-Mart to have the stuff that we need. We trust Target to have cool appliances, and new things. We trust McDonalds to always be ready to make a BigMac for us. We trust White Lime to have a fun atmosphere. We trust businesses, and when that trust is cut, profits are cut.

I trust that Seth Godin will keep coming out with amazing books that I’ll enjoy reading, and if that trust is broken, I’ll no longer look at his books the same way. If that trust is broken, Godin loses the chance of making a sale.

But since Seth has my trust, I’m a valued prospect. I get pushed farther down the funnel because I trusted that the product that I was holding is something that will teach me something that's totally new and amazing, because that's what Seth Godin does. He creates books and products that are totally new and amazing. But the very moment that Godin creates a product that breaks that trust, my reversed funnel alters. I can no longer trust Seth to create products that are truly amazing and new, and because of that, I might not look at his books in awe the same way that I used to.

Robert Kiyosaki created the Rich Dad, Poor Dad chain of books, and I trusted that each book created would be completely different and new. Holding new information about entrepreneurship and business, but after reading about four books in the franchise, I realized that the same information was being repeated over, and over again. I don't trust Robert's books now. I don't buy his books anymore. He recently came out with the new book, Why We Want You To Be Rich, and I haven't even looked at it yet. However, when Seth comes out with a new book, I'm going straight to my local Barnes & Noble to get my hands on it.

This has been an exert out of my new upcoming book, The Reversed Funnel. If you enjoyed this information, please join my Reversed Funnel Newsletter, and get a discount off the book when it's released, plus the first to get the sneak peaks and previews about the book.

Learn how to use MyBlogLog correctly by reading my book, MyBlogLog Marketing now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I would trust Seth Rogen on Internet marketing. Maybe if I was making a movie or something, but otherwise, um, no.

Oh, wait, you said Seth GODIN. Oh, okay. That's probably going to be a worthwhile book.

Seriously though, good insightful post. Trust does matter.

Matthew Castro said...

LoL. I don't think anyone would trust Seth Rogen with anything, except for a really funny movie. : )

I always look forward to his movies!

Who knows? Maybe Seth Godin will be in a movie soon!